Ironmaster is a reputable gym equipment manufacturer based in the United States. The company has been producing high-quality products since the 1970s when it was established. It has distinguished itself as a leading manufacturer of high-quality adjustable dumbbells for those looking for convenient workouts at home.
Among its most popular products include the 75lb quick-lock, 120lb quick-lock, and 165lb fully-threaded dumbbells. The weight for the 75-pound dumbbell ranges from 5 to 70 pounds, the 120-pound dumbbell 70 to 120 pounds, and the 165-pound dumbbell 122.5 to 165 pounds.
In this Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells review, we discuss the company’s products’ overall features, pros, and cons. Read on for more.
The Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells come in three models, the 75-pound, 120-pound, and 165-pounds dumbbells. Here is an overview of the specifications of each of the three dumbbell models:
Ironmaster 75 Lb Adjustable Dumbbells Base Set5 to 75 pounds weight range
- Adjusts in 2.5-pound increments
- Measures 6.5″ (W) by 6.5″ (H) by 14.5″ (L)
- Weight plates 4 x 2.5 pounds and 24 x 5 pounds
- Dumbbells handle 2 x 5 pounds
- Includes a 14.5″ (W) by 19″ (D) by 26″ (H)
Ironmaster 120 Lb Adjustable Dumbbell Add-On Kit
- You need a 75-pound base unit to use this
- Weight plates 4 x 22.5 pounds
- Extended length quick-lock screws x 4
- Measures 6.5″ (W) by 6.5″ (H) by 18.5″ (L)
- Weight range, 70 to 120 pounds
- It fits on a stand when fully-loaded
- Weight increments 2.5 pounds
Ironmaster 165 Lb Adjustable Dumbbell Add-On Kit
- Requires the 75-pound and 120-pound units to work
- Weight plates 4 x 22.5 pounds
- Extra-long fully-threaded screws x 4
- Weight range 122.5 to 165 pounds
- 2.5 –pound weight increments
- Measures 6.5″ (W) by 6.5″ (H) by 23.5″ (L)
- It doesn’t fit on the rack when fully-loaded
Design and Build Quality
Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells feature steel and iron materials in their entirety. That makes them some of the most durable adjustable dumbbells on the market today. Besides, the weights plates are precision-cast and hand-machined to give you the proper weight all the time.
The chrome-plated handles have a uniquely elegant look that could spice up your gym. Furthermore, the manufacturers have included loose tolerances in between the weight plates to prevent unnecessary rattling.
The weight plates come in three sizes, 2.5 pounds, 5 pounds, and 22.5 pounds. Regardless of the weight, all the weight plates measure 6.5-inches by 6.5 inches. However, the thickness changes as you move from one consequence to another.
While the 2.5-pound weight plates are 0.25 inches thick, the 5-pound and 22.5-pound plates are 0.5 inches and 2.25 inches wide, respectively.
Nonetheless, each of the weight plates has a standard 1-inch diameter center hole, a black surface cast iron construction, and an interlocking design that helps maintain alignment and secure locking. The error of margin for the slated weight for each weight plate is three percent, which is pretty accurate.
Without the weight plates, the handle weighs five pounds and is 6.5 inches in between the weights. Its diameter is 1.25 inches, with recessed groves at the ends to firmly get hold of the weight plates. Apart from supporting rigorous exercises, the dumbbells are virtually unbreakable, regardless of how much pounding you give them.
Overall, the dumbbells look and feel great compared to other brands that use plastic parts on their products. The company designs its products in the United States and manufactures them overseas.
As a testament to the high-quality work that goes into the design and manufacturing process, the company offers a lifetime warranty. Which other adjustable dumbbell manufacturer beats that.
Weight Plate Adjustability
The weight plates are adjustable in 2.5-pound or 5-pound increments depending on the model and your training level. Changing weight plates takes a short time. You have to line up your weights while aligning the notches on the handle and locking the screw.
Once you have inserted the screw, tighten it to hold the weight plates firmly into place. In less than one minute, you would have changed the weights on both sides and embarked on your workouts. However, with room to push the stand away from the wall, changing weight plates is much faster
When it comes to the screw sizes, there is a big difference between any two weights. For instance, the 75-pound dumbbells have 4-inch and 2-pound screws. The 120-pound dumbbells, on the other hand, have 6-inch screws, weighing three pounds each.
Lastly, the fully-threaded screws on the 165-pound dumbbells weigh 3.5 pounds and measure 8.5 inches. However, the fully-threaded screws don’t provide the quick-lock function as they require screwing to the end.
Comfort and Ease-Of-Use
Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells are comfortable to hold during workouts. They aren’t any different from fixed-weight dumbbells when it comes to how easy they are to use. You can cover the handles using fat grip adapters to cushion you from any possible pressure. Given a choice between two fat grip adapters, you can increase the handle width to either 1.5 inches or 2 inches.
Their high-strength plastic materials make the handles easy to use. They make your grip firmer and less likely to slip mid-workout. Thanks to the handles’ ability to allow a wide range of motion, it is possible for you to perform all kinds of exercises using them.
The Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells allow 2.5-pound weight increments or 1.25 pounds on either side from our previous discussion. For that reason, they support both beginners and advanced users alike. You can use the dumbbells for milder exercises as well as the more rigorous ones. Once you have moved through all the low-level routines, you can increase the weight to higher levels.
You can then upgrade to the maximum possible 165 pounds, depending on your workout goals. The following are some of the activities that you can do using the Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells:
- Weighted crunches
- Flat bench presses
- Concentration curls
- Bicep curls
- Dumbbell rows
- Incline dumbbell flies
- Push presses
- Overhead tricep extensions
- Alternated shoulder presses
- Dumbbell squats
- Stiff-legged deadlift
- One-legged toe raise
- Elevated single-led squat
- Dumbbell swing through
Who Should Buy Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells?
Everyone! However, their design puts them right into your home gym. Unlike other companies that make adjustable dumbbells for commercial use, Ironmaster explicitly targets users in their homes. The dumbbells are great for both beginners and advanced users and support a wide range of exercises.
Beginners will appreciate the 75-pound dumbbells that support minute 2.5-pound increments, helping them attain workout milestones gradually. As they become more toned up, they can graduate to the 120-pound and eventually 165-pound dumbbells.
Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbell Benefits
After a detailed review of the features and specifications of the Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells, it is time to discuss their pros. Here cursory look at the pros of this workout equipment:
- Natural Look And Feel: The Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells have the same look as the traditional fixed dumbbells. They provide a more natural feel when handled, enabling you to have a wide range of motion.
- Expandable: It is possible to expand the dumbbell to one with up to 165 pounds in weight. That makes it possible for you to rise from a beginner to an advanced lifter without purchasing a more extensive dumbbell set.
- Durable: The Ironmaster dumbbells have a single all-metal construction that can last through the most challenging conditions. It is not surprising that the manufacturers are offering a lifetime warranty on these dumbbells. But that doesn’t mean you handle them carelessly without regard to whether they can get damaged.
- Secure Lock System: The dumbbells lock in place securely, removing worries of possible accidents during heavy lifting exercises. Besides, the weights hardly rattle as you lift and lower them. Even if you choose to make swinging motions, the consequences remain secure all the time.
- Includes a Dumbbell Rack: Even a compact dumbbell set for home use requires a rack or stand. Luckily, for this particular set, the frame is part of the package. After using them in workouts, you can store them on the rack until the next time.
- Comes With Accessories: Apart from the storage stand, the package includes other accessories to make your workouts easier. For example, it has attachments for the handles to give you a full-hand grip. That’s important in ensuring maximum comfort during those rigorous workouts.
- Customizable Weight Distribution: Unlike other dumbbell models in the market, you can increase the weight on one end without bothering the other. That would mean holding the dumbbells slightly further from the center to maintain equilibrium.
What’s Not So Good about Ironmaster Dumbbells?
Like everything else, Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells come with several downsides, including the following:
- Taking Longer to Adjust: Adjusting from one weight level to another takes between 15 seconds and 90 seconds, which is a bit too long. It all depends on how many weight plates you want to add.
- Time-Wasting: Since they come in many pieces, Ironmaster dumbbells can make you waste time trying to sort the weights plates you need. Thus, you need room to keep the storage rack and time to get organized.
Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells Review-Bottom Line
Having discussed Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells in detail, it is clear they are worth buying for anyone looking to create a convenient home gym. They have all the features you need as a beginner and an advanced user. That’s why you should consider buying them today.